Wednesday, September 21, 2011

12 Questions: Anna Coffey

Executive Fellow with the Department of Energy
Water Power Program

1.    Where were you before beginning Knauss, and what where you doing there?
I had just graduated from the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (College of William and Mary) with my M.S. in Marine Science.  My thesis focused on the effect of salinity on a parasitic dinoflagellate of the blue crab, Callinectes sapidus, in Chesapeake Bay.  My research involved a lot of field work (e.g. including sampling crabs for infection along the eastern shore of Virginia) and a lot of lab work (e.g. building recirculating aquarium systems and conducting infection trials at different salinities).  I enjoyed doing both, but after 4 failed experiments, I realized the many challenges involved in trying to perform a controlled lab study with animals that have a high in-captivity mortality rate. 

2.    What drew you to the position you chose? 
I really wanted to take advantage of the fellowship year to stretch the limits of my comfort zone and work on something completely outside of my area of expertise.  The Department of Energy’s Wind and Water Power Program also gave me the opportunity to learn more about renewable energy, an issue that I’ve always been interested in but didn’t know anything about.  

A tidal energy test site in Scotland.
3.    How will you use your background in your new office? 
Honestly, there is more overlap than I ever thought there would be when I was first placed at DOE.  The Water Power Program is focused not only on technology development for marine and hydrokinetics, but also market acceleration topics, which include managing a large portfolio of environmental research pertaining to the potential environmental impacts of the commercial development of the marine and hydrokinetic industry.  A lot of these research projects deal with dose-response type studies which is something I was familiar with due to my past experience with disease-related work.  I’ve also been able to use my broader knowledge of marine ecosystems to better understand the complexities of some of these potential environmental impacts.    
 
4.    What has been the biggest change for you since starting the fellowship? 

Working regular hours and communicating with LOTS of different and new people every day.  In grad school I was used to a very flexible schedule, where I was sometimes in the lab at 1am or on Christmas Day, but I also was able to take off every now and then during “regular” working hours.  Now, it’s mostly 9-5, which was a little difficult to get used to at first, but it’s also really nice to have a regular routine and time off for holidays and weekends. 

In school, I was used to dealing primarily with my coworkers in the lab and my fellow grad students.  VIMS is a satellite campus of William and Mary, and it’s a pretty tiny community.  Aside from working with my lab mates, fellow students, and the occasional visiting scientist, I didn’t really deal with many other people on a regular basis.  I had always heard that DC is a ridiculously connected town, but I’m really finding that to be true.  I’m amazed at the sheer number of people I’ve met through the fellowship so far and the variety of backgrounds that my coworkers come from.  Working with people from different countries, positions, and educational backgrounds has really broadened my perspective on the complexities involved in balancing beneficial commercial development (e.g. renewable energy) with conservation.

5.    What have you found to be your most essential piece of “work attire?” 

I make sure to always have a sweater or jacket with me to dress in layers.  We just changed offices and now are located in the basement where it is frigid, even when it’s 104 outside, but you never know when your next meeting is going to be held in a sweltering conference room.

6.    Where is your favorite spot on Earth? 

I would say my favorite spot on Earth is on my husband’s family’s land on Thunder Hill in Blowing Rock, NC.  Every time I think of the one spot I’d like to be, it’s there.

7.    What’s at the top of your recommended reading list for someone wanting to explore a career in your field? 
Anna taking samples from a blue crab.
I would recommend Tropical Diseases and New Guinea Tapeworms and Jewish Grandmothers both by Robert Desowitz.  He’s a truly brilliant writer and does a great job of discussing epidemiology as if he were writing a novel.   
Parasite Rex by Carl Zimmer is also a great book about the wonderful world of parasites and how crafty they can be.  For anyone interested in blue crabs, Beautiful Swimmers by William Warner is a very well-written, interesting book that describes the past, present, and future of blue crabs in Chesapeake Bay and describes the culture of the watermen in that area.

8.    Personal favorite book? 
Oh man, this is like choosing a favorite child (of which I have none, but what I imagine it would be like anyways).  I’m going to have to go with Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.  It was one of the first books that really stuck with me and I felt like I actually understood the statements he was making without someone having to point them out and explain them to me. 

9.    What are your hobbies? 
I love to cook and will try any new recipe at least once, especially if it seems challenging.  I also love music and play the guitar and sing, though I’ll admit I’m a bit out of practice after my stint in grad school.  I’ve recently taken up running with a group at DOE every morning and I’m hoping that will be a hobby that sticks with me…it’s an excellent stress reliever! 

10.    What would you be doing if you hadn’t gone into your field? 

I like to think that I would have followed my 16-year-old dream to become a famous rock star, some kind of mix of Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart…there’s no need to doubt that this would have actually happened if I had not been seduced by marine science.  It would have. 

Blue crab cells infected with a parasite
11.    Who is your favorite historical scientist and why? 
I’m going to have to bring it back to the author of some of my favorite parasitology books, Robert Desowitz.  I find that this quote by him from Tropical Diseases continues to inspire me, especially when I’m wondering about the purpose of my research.  This totally gives me chills every time I read it:
"That's the way it is; There is a large element of inefficiency an unpredictability in the biomedical sciences. Without those 'good-for-nothing'-ologies many, if not most, of the great-leap-forward discoveries benefiting our health and wellbeing would not have had their seed origins. The foundations and government agencies that support biomedical science must somehow be made to realize that contrary to the laws of logic and economics, all natural science pursuits must be sustained. It is just as important, in the long run, to train and support the person whose life is devoted to the study of the bumblebee as it is to train and support the person whose life is devoted to the study of the AIDS virus. Those whose curiosity leads to the taxonomy of mosses, the physiology of the firefly, the tapeworms of sharks are our great resource. Their curiosity is humanity's good fortune. From somewhere in the whole pool of knowledge the new advances will emerge. If all the sciences are not encouraged, the disciplines that affect our health and well-being will ultimately wither at a dead end."

12.    Any idea what you’re doing next year?
 

Honestly, I have no idea.  Occasionally I play with the idea of returning to Academia for my PhD, but other times that’s the last thing I want to do.  I really enjoy where I am now, but it’s impossible to know at this point what employment opportunities will be available once the fellowship year is over.  Perhaps I shall turn back to my dreams of rock stardom…

No comments:

Post a Comment