Wednesday, March 16, 2011

12 Questions: Abby Graefe

Executive Fellow at the Naval Observatory
Policy Liaison, Oceanographer of the Navy
.
*Side Note* That's Graefe, pronounced 'Griffey', like the baseball player...
Abby in Malta

1. Where were you before beginning Knauss, and what were you doing there? 
Directly before Knauss, I was at home in Chicago finishing my Master’s thesis. Prior to that, I lived in Malta for almost a year, completing the coursework for my Master’s degree! I was in the inaugural class of a joint program between James Madison University and the University of Malta in Sustainable Environmental Resources Management (SERM). 

2. What drew you to the position you chose? 
Many reasons! It is the only position that is offered with the Navy, while most Knauss positions are with NOAA. I figured that this would be my chance to work for an agency that I may never have the chance to work for again. The Navy works on a wide variety of ocean policy topics with agencies all over DC, the US, and even the world. Since I am not quite sure what I want to do, working with the Navy would give me a wide perspective to the many topics and issues in current ocean policy. And, I have to admit, that my all-time favorite TV show is NCIS – so that’s how this position initially caught my eye!

3. How will you use your background in your new office? 
I have a broad background - from marine biology to environmental management, and from managing a lab to teaching informal environmental education. Since I don’t have a specialized background, I have a range of skills and knowledge that can be tapped for many of the Navy’s interests.

4. What has been the biggest change for you since starting the fellowship? 
The full 8-hours straight of work! When I wrote my thesis, I did it in little spurts throughout the day (or sometimes just didn’t do it...).

5. What have you found to be your most essential piece of 'work attire'? 
My badge! Ha! I can’t get on the Naval Observatory grounds or access my computer without it – so the lanyard is always around my neck.

Where the heck is Malta?
6. Where is your favorite spot on Earth? 
The little Mediterranean island of Malta, or a boat on the Med.


7. What's at the top of your recommended reading list for someone wanting to explore a career in your field? 
I have to second Nicole’s choice of the Secret Life of Lobsters. Love that one! 

8. Personal favorite book? 
Harry Potter. I have read them all too many times to count. However, my favorite “grown-up” book would be A Thousand Splendid Suns. Couldn’t put it down.  

Whoa! Abby rock-climbing
9. What are your hobbies? 
Going to the gym! It’s my way to de-stress. I did a lot of indoor rock-climbing in Chicago, but haven’t had the time here because of work.  

10. What would you be doing if you hadn't gone into your field? 
No idea. I’ve been studying marine science since I was four! 

11. Who is your favorite historical scientist and why?
Jane Goodall knows science is cool!
Jane Goodall. I did a report on her in 4th grade, and I just thought that she was so cool!

12. Any idea what you're doing next year? 
No clue! But I’m definitely thinking of getting back on the informal education track.

No comments:

Post a Comment