Thursday, March 24, 2011

12 Questions: Amanda Keledjian

Executive Fellow with NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service
Office of Protected Resources

1. Where were you before beginning Knauss, and what were you doing there? 
Harbor seal at the rehab center
Before beginning this fellowship, I was studying marine mammal strandings and fisheries interactions along the California coast at Scripps Institution of Oceanography for my master's degree.  Throughout my time in the area, I also completed internships in marine mammal husbandry at rehabilitation and aquarium facilities that were both influential in shaping my curiosities about seals and sea lions.

2. What drew you to the position you chose? 
I was drawn to the position within NOAA Fisheries Protected Resources because I knew this work would help me understand the policies and issues central to the conservation and management of marine mammals and endangered species.  I was also eager to learn more about the animal species not only on the west coast but throughout the country and up into the Arctic.  Already I have learned far more than I could have imagined about a range of topics such as oil and gas development, permitting, and regulatory compliance.  I couldn’t be happier with my spot!

3. How will you use your background in your new office? 
My interdisciplinary training in marine conservation comes in handy!  I enjoy looking at issues and projects from different perspectives and when it comes to marine and coastal resource management, there seems to be no end to the complexities of satisfying the needs of divergent interest groups that use the ocean.  I am also excited hone my communication skills by helping the outreach coordinator at Endangered Species Day.

4. What has been the biggest change for you since starting the fellowship? 
The biggest change I have experienced is being so involved in the marine conservation community and also participating in various events and lectures in the city.  There are so many great and fun things happening every day and I just love being part of it all - makes me realize how many dedicated people are concentrated here!

5. What have you found to be your most essential piece of 'work attire'? 
My Dansko clogs - no competition.

Driving home after a morning's work.
 6. Where is your favorite spot on Earth? 
If I had to choose just one place, I would say the Antarctic Peninsula, where the raw natural landscape was stunning each and every day.  Other favorites might include Venice (Italy and Ca), Seattle, Costa Rican beaches, and Whistler, BC. I do love to travel, so I am hoping to discover many new favorite places in the future.

7. What's at the top of your recommended reading list for someone wanting to explore a career in your field? 
I am trying to flesh out this reading list as we speak!  Great reads I have discovered so far are Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood by Taras Grescoe and Don’t be Such a Scientist by Randy Olsen.  I am currently reading Voyage of the Turtle by Carl Safina.  I also have a secret love for ocean themed coffee table books.

8. Personal favorite book? 
Tough question, but I’ll have to go with Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins and Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

9. What are your hobbies? 
Besides the obvious passion for the ocean and the great outdoors, I love photography, browsing bookstores, skiing, and backpacking.  I am also a striving cook, amateur gardener, beginning guitar player, and have dreams of owning my own pottery wheel one day. 

10. What would you be doing if you hadn't gone into your field? 
Well, I get very impassioned when talking about food and public health issues, so perhaps something along those lines.  Or, an underwater videographer or even a marine mammal veterinarian. Professional ski instructor?  Can I do it all? 

11. Who is your favorite historical scientist and why?
Right now, the role model that comes to mind is Sylvia Earle.  Her list of accomplishments runs a mile long, she has written numerous publications, and has been a pioneer for women in science and in underwater exploration.  She advocates for the ocean on so many fronts and was even named a “Hero for the Planet” by Time magazine.  
Adelie penguin colony
12. Any idea what you're doing next year? 
As this fellowship continues, new opportunities and ideas arise constantly.  I meet so many great people working on interesting projects that it has been neat to keep an open mind for the future.  I would love to continue working for my current office or in a related NOAA program so that I could continue to explore this policy-centric world for a while.  But, this experience has been so eye-opening that I’m not even sure I know what issues I’d like to specialize in!  The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment