Thursday, March 10, 2011

12 Questions: Nicole Rohr

Legislative Fellow in Senator Roger Wicker's Office (MS)
.
1. Where were you before beginning Knauss, and what were you doing there?
Prior to the Knauss Fellowship, I was working on my Ph.D. in Biology at the University of Rhode Island. My dissertation research focuses on the community impacts of the invasive Asian shore crab, particularly how their invasion and exclusion of other crab species impacts the algal composition and abundance on rocky intertidal shores.

2. What drew you to the position you chose?
I chose the Office of Senator Wicker because I want to work to promote the sustainable human uses of marine resources while protecting ecosystem health and services. The Gulf of Mexico has faced many challenges in recent years that have impacted the natural resources and the Gulf Coast residents, but continues to be an area vital to the national economy.

3. How will you use your background in your new office?
My background in marine ecology with special interest in policy, communication, and social equity allows me to have a solid comprehension of the scientific underpinnings of marine policy while being mindful of the human dimension.

4. What has been the biggest change for you since starting the fellowship?
The pace of work on Capitol Hill is exponentially faster than that of graduate school! In my PhD program, I took 5 years to investigate specific answers to my research question, but on the Hill I often have five minutes to dig up information!

5. What have you found to be your most essential piece of 'work attire'?
My black blazer that I can put on over anything to make it business professional!

6. Where is your favorite spot on Earth?
South Andros Island, Bahamas. More specifically, Tiamo Resorts.

7. What's at the top of your recommended reading list for someone wanting to explore a career in your field?
I would recommend reading a broad range of books. Even though I study invertebrates - and really enjoyed The Secret Life of Lobsters by Trevor Corson - I also enjoy books about the history of science (A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson), biographies of famous scientists, (Einstein by Walter Isaacson), and popular non-fiction (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot). I think researchers are naturally curious and a broad base of knowledge will always serve you well.

8. Personal favorite book?
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I am currently reading it for about the 8th time in my life!

9. What are your hobbies?
I enjoy reading for fun and run an online book club with two other women. I also enjoy SCUBA diving and am not opposed to sky diving if the view is worth the risk! I find cooking therapeutic, but my specialties run along the lines of southern comfort food.

10. What would you be doing if you hadn't gone into your field?
I would have most likely become an accountant.

11. Who is your favorite historical scientist and why?
Ah, the question all scientists are asked. I would have to say Leonardo Fibonacci. I know, I know, he was a mathematician and not a scientist, but I am completely enthralled by how often and what ways the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio appear in nature. So, there is at least a science connection...

12. Any idea what you're doing next year?
I always hold out hope of meeting an obscure Prince and becoming a Princess. Dr. Princess Nicole - it has a nice ring to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment