Friday, April 15, 2011

12 Questions: Jennifer Cudney

Executive Fellow within National Marine Fisheries Service
Highly Migratory Species Division


1. Where were you before beginning Knauss, and what were you doing there?
 I was (and still am) working on my PhD at East Carolina University.  Right before I came to D.C., I had a 9 credit hour semester, did two field excursions (one to tag sharks in Massachusetts and one to deploy acoustic gear off Cape Hatteras), defended my dissertation proposal, and passed my comprehensive exams.


2. What drew you to the position you chose?
 My dissertation is on spiny dogfish sharks, which are highly migratory but managed in a difference office.  I picked HMS because the HMS management division was just outside of my comfort zone and I could still work on shark/migratory species management issues.  They work on a wide range of projects that would challenge me.  The HMS division is part of the Sustainable Fisheries Office, which includes HMS and Domestic Fisheries; Domestic Fisheries manages spiny dogfish, so I still have access to people and resources connected to my dissertation topic.  I also felt really comfortable with the people in the office - they are so friendly and fun to work with!


3. How will you use your background in your new office?
 Working with spiny dogfish made me more familiar with the special management considerations for long lived, migratory species.  I also hope to contribute my knowledge of NC fisheries to some projects.  HMS recently took on the management of another species, the smooth dogfish, which is also fished by a lot of spiny dogfish fishermen.  I'm involved with several data analysis projects that require some statistical and GIS skills I acquired as a grad student.  I also hope to go help with a tagging project in Delaware and a 2 week Gulf of Mexico shark cruise.  This definitely will draw on my field experience and my ability to note get seasick!


4. What has been the biggest change for you since starting the fellowship?
 There is a steep, steep learning curve for the rulemaking process because each rule is different, and the preferred language changes all the time.  I am also still trying to get caught up on background reading.


5.  What have you found to be your most essential piece of work attire?
 My "office shoes."  I keep a pair of nice shoes at my desk and change shoes every morning and evening so I don't have to walk to/from work in heels.


6. Where is your favorite spot on Earth?
 Being on or near the ocean is my favorite place to be, so it's tough to pick one spot.  I've enjoyed coastal NC a lot.  Ketchikan, Alaska, is pretty awesome too.


7.  What's at the top of your recommended reading list for someone wanting to explore a career in your field?
 The Great Gulf: Fishermen, Scientists, and the Struggle to Revive the World's Greatest Fishery, by David Dobbs.  This book tells you about the science, the people, the management,  and the compromises (or lack thereof) that have to occur in this fishery.  Although it focuses on the New England cod and groundfish fisheries, there are a lot of references to other fisheries and issues in this book.  


8.  What is your favorite book?
 Harry Potter 7


9.  What are your hobbies?
 Dance, yoga, and biking.  I am going to try to get my husband into kayaking this year.


10.  What would you be doing if you hadn't gone into your field?
 I had two jobs working in wildlife management (coastal birds like plovers, herons, ducks, etc.).  I'd probably be working for the Fish and Wildlife Service at a refuge.


11.  Who is your favorite historical scientist and why?
 Darwin.  He got the ball rolling.


12.  Any idea what you're doing next year?  
I want to be done with my dissertation in 2012.  I am trying to stay open to different opportunities for work - there are so many possibilities that may open up through this fellowship!  If my husband finds a permanent job that he likes, then I'll look for work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment