Friday, April 1, 2011

12 Questions: Joe Fillingham

Executive Fellow, NOAA Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research
Office of Labs and Cooperative Institutes

1. Where were you before beginning Knauss, and what were you doing there?
Before the fellowship began I was in the first semester of a PhD program in Freshwater Sciences at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.  I defended and submitted my Master thesis the same semester.  My MS is in Atmospheric Sciences and my thesis was on air-sea interaction  - wave and carbon dioxide exchange modeling over Lake Michigan.  I also worked part time as a sailing instructor at the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center where I taught basic through advanced sailing, problem-solving on the water, and weather for sailors. 

2. What drew you to the position you chose?
I chose to work with the office of Laboratories and Cooperative Institutes in NOAA OAR because I wanted to learn as much as I could about the decision-making and planning that goes into the NOAA research portfolio.  I wanted to know why NOAA studies what it does, who makes those decisions, and what kind of research is coming next.  As a PhD student I also wanted to make as many connections to the NOAA labs as possible.

Joe used buoys like this one for his research
3. How will you use your background in your new office?
My education is unique in that it is very interdisciplinary.  My course work was in physical sciences while my lab work and funding came from a biogeochemist /aquatic food web scientist.  The ability to wear different scientific hats allows me to effectively communicate with lab managers and scientists with a wide array of expertise. 

4. What has been the biggest change for you since starting the fellowship?
Relocating to completely different part of the country was difficult and still requires some adjustment.  I find it hard to sit at a desk all day... but compared to Wisconsin, the weather here is fantastic and a welcomed relief!

5. What have you found to be your most essential piece of 'work attire'?
Lots of ties and comfortable dress shoes!

6. Where is your favorite spot on Earth?
I would have to say besides in bed late on a Sunday morning, sailing in early September about 5 miles offshore of Milwaukee, WI on Lake Michigan in 15 knots of breeze on my Dad's Ranger 26. 

Sailing on Lake Michigan
7. What's at the top of your recommended reading list for someone wanting to explore a career in your field?
 Lake Michigan in Motion by Clifford Mortimer

8. Personal favorite book? 
Hard to pin down just one...
  


9. What are your hobbies?
Sailing, surfing, swimming, running

10. What would you be doing if you hadn't gone into your field?
Professional sailor (at least try to be...)  probably working really hard to compete in the Vendee Globe or Volvo Ocean Race.  Possibly trying an Olympic Campaign in the international 470 class.

11. Who is your favorite historical scientist and why?
Clifford Mortimer.  Dr. Mortimer started his career as a physical scientist when he was asked to forecast the D-Day invasion in WWII.  He knew very little about weather and waves but learned what he needed to and ended up following a career in physical limnology founding what is today the Great Lakes WATER Institute in Milwaukee, WI.  He is the author of Lake Michigan in Motion, a required reading for all physical aquatic scientists.  Dr. Mortimer drew every plot in his book by hand!

12. Any idea what you're doing next year?
This all depends!

No comments:

Post a Comment