Thursday, April 21, 2011

12 Questions: Olivia Lee


1. Where were you before beginning Knauss, and what were you doing there?
I was in Galveston, Texas finishing up my dissertation on the early migratory behavior of northern fur seal pups. I was also co-teaching a freshman marine biology class at Texas A&M, and trying to train my two dogs to have good leash manners. Unfortunately I am still failing at the dog training. 

2. What drew you to the position you chose?
I was most interested in learning how policies that are designed to protect marine species and environments are implemented. However, I also wanted to stay abreast with marine research and my current position in the Ocean Sciences Division at the NSF allows me to do both. We support the research and ensure that our activities comply with environmental policies, particularly the ESA and MMPA.

3. How will you use your background in your new office?
I come from mostly a marine mammal background, which is very useful because it helps me better understand the concerns raised by our activities, and the potential impacts that we may have on protected species. My research experience has also been useful in participating in research panel discussions, and in communicating with other federal agencies and researchers about both the science objectives and the environmental impacts.

4. What has been the biggest change for you since starting the fellowship?
The fixed work hours, and the amount of time I sit at a desk. As a graduate student, I spent much more time outdoors. I also have an hour-long commute to work each day which is a big change from my 10 minute commute in Texas.

5. What have you found to be your most essential piece of 'work attire'?
A semi-comfortable pair of black high heels, but I still change into flats for my commute!

6. Where is your favorite spot on Earth?
Right now that would be Midway Atoll – lots of warmth, clear lagoon water filled with apex predators, and lots of albatross chicks. I miss those the most.

7. What's at the top of your recommended reading list for someone wanting to explore a career in your field?
I would recommend reading something like Sea Change by Sylvia Earle, or The Human, the Orchid and the Octopus by Jacques Cousteau. If you are serious about this career, the promise of adventure in the ocean will make the hard work worth all the inevitable difficulties and setbacks you will encounter. Things that are worth doing don’t always come easy.

8. Personal favorite book?
Black beauty by Anna Sewell. I love stories from an animal’s point of view.

9. What are your hobbies?
I paint and sketch. Lately I have been doing mostly oil paintings of marine life and dogs. I love to SCUBA dive, but only if the visibility is good (i.e., no more lake diving in Texas) and kayaking is also a lot of fun.

10. What would you be doing if you hadn't gone into your field?
Become a vet, a wildlife artist or the owner of an eco-tourism based B&B.

11. Who is your favorite historical scientist and why?
I’m a big fan of pioneer scientists in marine biology. I admire Sylvia Earle and Eugenie Clark, a.k.a. ‘The Shark Lady’. I met her during an event at Mote Marine Laboratory in Florida, which she founded fifty years ago. Much to everyone’s surprise, she accepted an invitation to our intern party after the official event. Something about being passionate about the oceans keeps you young, I think.

12. Any idea what you're doing next year?
I’m thinking of going back into the research field. A post-doc in Australia maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment