Wednesday, August 3, 2011

12 Questions: Andy Coleman

 Knauss Placement: Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation; Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard

1. Where were you before beginning Knauss, and what were you doing there?
I was finishing my Ph.D. at University of Alabama at Birmingham.  My research focused on a depleted population of diamondback terrapins (a species of turtle) along the Gulf Coast of Alabama. I defended my dissertation in May, so please refer to me as Dr. Andy when we converse.  Just kidding.

 2. What drew you to the position you chose?
I was interested in the subcommittee office due to its national and international perspective.  I have learned about fishery issues from the Gulf of Maine to the South Pacific.  I was given the chance to be a part of the U.S. delegation to the KOBE III meeting in La Jolla, CA (I’ll write about that experience soon).  It has also given me a chance to learn more about issues that are taking place in the Gulf of Mexico.

3. How will you use your background in your new office?
I haven’t really used my background for the office, I’ve definitely received more from being in my position than I have contributed.  I’ve learned so much.

4. What has been the biggest change for you since starting the fellowship?
Wearing SUITS!!!  I prefer the graduate school attire, but I’ve adapted like a zebra mussel.

5. What have you found to be your most essential piece of 'work attire'?
The blackberry for those especially “interesting” briefings.

6. Where is your favorite spot on Earth?
I know I’m biased and can be a little obnoxious about it, but Alabama is such a great place that too many people overlook.  There’s a wonderful variety of habitats and wildlife (including its people), and there’s only one University of Alabama (not including University of Alabama at Birmingham and University of Alabama at Huntsville).  Roll Tide!!!

I haven’t done a lot of traveling, unfortunately, but for a non-Alabama place, some of my favorite spots would be the coral reefs of Hawaii (where I saw a manta ray) and the tidepools of the Pacific Northwest.  And if I could add just one more…Melbourne Beach, FL, is awesome because you have nesting leatherback, loggerhead, and green sea turtles on one side of the road and gopher tortoises on the other side.

7. What's at the top of your recommended reading list for someone wanting to explore a career in your field? 
Fire in the Turtle House was the first sea turtle related book I read, and it’s a very interesting and easy read.  It discusses the issue of fibropapillomatosis (don’t worry, I consulted Wikipedia for spelling) in sea turtles and it interviews some of the great sea turtle researchers. 

But for any good sea turtle natural history book, you can’t go wrong with Archie Carr.

8. Personal favorite book? 
A series of memoirs written by Rick Bragg…All Over Bout the Shoutin’, Ava’s Man, and The Prince of Frogtown.  Bragg does a great job of describing what it was like growing up in the rural South.  AND, the books are set in Alabama.


9. What are your hobbies?
Playing and watching a variety of sports.  I like seeing new places and getting outside.  One unique sport I enjoy is fencing, I was a member of a fencing club in Birmingham for a few years and would like to do it again sometime soon.

At the time I write this, football season starts in 32 days! Roll Tide!!

10. What would you be doing if you hadn't gone into your field?
In high school, I thought of two other possibilities besides marine biology…forestry (I was a member of the 4-H forestry team growing up) and the seminary.  But I feel today that I’m doing what I was put on the Earth to do.

But wildlife photography and environmental film making seem like very inspiring career choices, but as you can see, I wrote off actually making a lot of money a LONG time ago.

11. Who is your favorite historical scientist and why?
E.O. Wilson—He’s been involved in science and trying to effectively communicate it for so many years.  He was the first person to document the invasion of fire ants into the U.S. as a 13 year old!  And, he grew up in ALABAMA!! Roll Tide!!!

12. Any idea what you're doing next year?
I miss the research, so I hope to find a way to get back into that somehow.  But now I have new avenues of research that I would like to pursue thanks to the fellowship.  If I had my choice, I would find a career that combined research, policy, and public outreach/education.

No comments:

Post a Comment