Sunday, August 7, 2011

12 Questions: Katrina Phillips

 Knauss Placement: NOAA Oceanic and Atmospheric Research, Office of Communications

1. Where were you before beginning Knauss, and what were you doing there?
Before starting the fellowship, I was studying loggerhead sea turtle habitat use for my masters degree in Marine Affairs and Policy at the Rosenstiel School for Atmospheric and Marine Science in Miami.

 2. What drew you to the position you chose?
I have previously focused on science and was encouraged to reach outside my comfort zone.  I knew that working in a communications office would challenge my abilities and expand my knowledge of exciting projects across NOAA.  Communicating science has always been important to me, and I continue to pursue these opportunities even outside of my fellowship duties. 

3. How will you use your background in your new office?
Having a background in science and policy has helped me translate detailed, nerdy scientific findings into meaningful messages that can be applied in this policy-centric world. 

4. What has been the biggest change for you since starting the fellowship?
I miss my turtles.  But I love spending time with my new-found fellowship friends.

5. What have you found to be your most essential piece of 'work attire'?
My NOAA pin endowed to me by the one and only Dr. Lubchenco.  It reminds me that I am part of a larger effort that reaches all the way to the corners of the country.

6. Where is your favorite spot on Earth?
Aside from my bed?  I'd have to say being on a ship in the middle of the Caribbean.  Life doesn't get much better than that.

7. What's at the top of your recommended reading list for someone wanting to explore a career in your field? 
Don't Be Such a Scientist, by Randy Olson, Voyage of the Turtle, by Carl Safina, and Mamma Sea Turtle Lost her Babies by Rober Stanek.

8. Personal favorite book? 
There are too many to count, but my recent favorite is A Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Love, and Food, by Kristin Kimbell.  


9. What are your hobbies?
My long list of hobbies includes watching Say Yes to the Dress, hosting brunch, spending time with my family, playing the violin, getting Seriously Strong in the NOAA gym, eating mustard, and helping plan my best friend's wedding!

10. What would you be doing if you hadn't gone into your field?
Sailing the high seas and eating Chipotle burritos with each port call.

11. Who is your favorite historical scientist and why?
I have a deep appreciation for all nerdiness that came before me and laid the foundation for the environmental research, ocean conservation, wildlife science, genetics, and climate research that is done today.  A favorite?  There really are too many to count that pertain to my current work, but perhaps I'll go with Jane Goodall and Sylvia Earle for being pioneers in science and women's leadership in their respective fields.

12. Any idea what you're doing next year?
After the fellowship, I'll be kicking butt and taking names for a while within OAR Communications and seeing where life takes me after that.  I'm eternally drawn to finding my perfect graduate program in case the stars align and I decide to pursue a PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment