Monday, August 22, 2011

Field Notes: Knauss in Norfolk


This week's notes from the field spotlight Abby's recent adventure with the Navy.  Read on to learn more about her experiences and thoughts on some of our nation's defensive centers and ships!
"On 18 August, I traveled to Naval Station Norfolk with three co-workers/Naval Officers, a Captain, and two Ensigns. Our tour began at 0830, so we had a bright-and-early wakeup call at 0315 to leave the Naval Observatory at 0400...coffee was definitely a must when we got on base!  After coffee was taken care of, the first order of the day was to board the USS Enterprise, which is the first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, the oldest active warship in the U.S. Fleet, and the world’s largest active warship. 

She is quite impressive, to say the least…but even more impressive are the men and women who are stationed on the ship, working long hours of physically- and mentally-demanding labor. I met a Petty Officer First Class who saved the life of a pilot when he became unconscious from vertigo while flying – the Petty Officer took control of the airplane from the ship, when all he could see was the dot of the plane on a radar screen. It was an immensely humbling experience as I met and saw these amazing men and women, and all I could do to express my gratitude was shake their hands and tell them thank you. 

After walking up and down the many ladders on the USS Enterprise, standing on the flight deck, and observing the flight deck from the bridge, it was on to the USS Iwo Jima, an amphib whose main duty is to transport U.S. Marines, where ladders were replaced with ramps to accommodate the difference in function. On this tour, I was taken down to the women’s berthing area, which is where the enlisted women get their precious sleep. I was shocked at the exceptionally tight living quarters and small storage space. Light sleepers don’t stand a chance.

After lunch at the Officers’ Club, the final tour was to the Fleet Weather Center Norfolk, where weather forecasts are made to warn and protect Navy installations and personnel. As a 24-hour center, about 21 people work 12-hour shifts forecasting weather and answering phone calls from the ships and bases. A sister-center is stationed in San Diego and provides full coverage for the Navy. 

I had been looking forward to this trip since the beginning of my fellowship, but I never expected to take away the experience that I did – I left with an even greater appreciation for the Navy and the rest of our armed forces. They are incredibly dedicated people who really do give up their lives for their country – something I’ve always known, but never really understood. I now appreciate my private, civilian lifestyle even more, and hold a greater respect for these amazing Americans." 


Thanks to Abby for sharing her thoughts on this adventure.  Tune back in for more stories from our Knaussers!



No comments:

Post a Comment